I have questions about finding a job or English classes or child care.
Visit the New to MIT section of our website.
I want to volunteer for MIT Spouses & Partners Connect.
Volunteers are what make MIT Spouses & Partners Connect great! Learn how to share your time, energy and talents with us here.
Do I need to register for the weekly gatherings on Wednesday afternoons?
No, you can simply come. Learn more about our meetings here.
How can I meet with the MIT Spouses & Partners Connect staff?
The staff hosts the weekly Newcomers Office Hour (check the calendar for upcoming dates). We can introduce you to MIT Spouses & Partners Connect's programs and answer your questions about life in Boston. The staff also attends our weekly gatherings on Wednesday afternoons. Our Program Manager is also available for private consultations. Email Jennifer Recklet Tassi at email@example.com to arrange an appointment.
Am I eligible to get a MIT Spouses/Partners ID card?
Spouses & partners of MIT students and employees are eligible to receive an MIT Spouse/Partner Card. The MIT Card Office does not issue Spouse/Partner ID's to spouses/partners of alumni, retirees, contractors, vendors, or temporary employees. Children, siblings, and parents of any MIT community member are NOT eligible to receive an MIT ID Card.
How do I get a MIT Spouses/Partners ID card?
Applying for an MIT Spouse/Partner Card is a two-step process that can take two days.
- Submit a request for a new or renewal card through this form on the card services website. Your spouse will need to make this request for you using a computer on which they have installed their personal MIT certificate.
- MIT certificates allow faculty, staff, visiting scholars, and students to perform tasks on MIT's secure server. Sorry, certificates are not currently available to MIT spouses. Your spouse can learn how to install a web certificate here.
- Once your spouse submits the web request through the link above, your spouse will receive an email confirming that Card Services has received it. About a day later, a second email will tell you that the MIT Card Office is ready to see you.
- Go to the MIT Card Office
- Go to the MIT Card Office in the basement of the Stratton Student Center (W20-021) to provide several forms of ID, have your photograph taken, and pay.
- The MIT Card Services office requires extensive proof of your identity and connection to MIT because the ID card is your main form of identification and access to campus buildings and services. You will need to bring all of the following forms of ID to the card office:
- A valid picture ID (a passport, or US Government issued ID)
- Your spouse or partner's MIT ID
- Legal proof of relationship (Marriage certificate, or Joint checking account listing both names, or Lease listing both names, or Current utility bill listing both names)
- $25 (cash or check only). Spouses who live in MIT dormitories are exempt from this charge.
- Renewing your MIT ID card
- The MIT Spouse/Partner ID card has an expiration date and must be renewed each year. You will need to apply online again and return to the Card Services office, but you are not required to show additional identification if you are able to show them your old card. Renewals cost $25 (cash or check only). Spouses who live in MIT dormitories don't have to pay this charge. Usually you may renew your card before the expiration date.
Where can I use my MIT ID card?
- Dormitory Access - when approved by your house manager
- Office/Laboratory Access - along with access to many campus buildings, specific access can added as needed. For example, women can ask for access to the Margaret Cheney lounge for women (email firstname.lastname@example.org), and art students receive temporary 24-hour access to the Student Art Association rooms while enrolled in a class.
- TechCASH Accounts - apply for a spouse account
- Athletics Access - Spouses pay for access
- Library Services
- Parking and T-Pass Office Services - when arranged through the parking office
- MIT Activities Committee (MITAC) - Use your MIT ID to purchase discounted tickets for local attractions and events
- More information about additional services here